1) Coaches should have received the ALFCA membership packet by now. We ask that you join up all of your varsity and JV coaches. There is a fee ($250) where you can join the entire staff regardless of the number of coaches you have. Membership is extremely important to the business of the ALFCA. The association hopes to top a membership of 2000 by the conclusion of the ALFCA Convention, scheduled once again for January of 2022. You can go on Dragonfly and join or fill out the membership form and mail it in as in the past.
2) Here are some of the Top 10 upsets from Week 2-
Fairhope beat Daphne 38-31 in OT
McAdory beat Homewood 45-18
Lee Montgomery beat Eufaula 17-10
St. Michael's beat Jackson 24-21
G.W. Long beat Elba 35-16
Sand Rock beat Westbrook Christian 32-18
Ider beat North Sand Mountain 13-7
Red Level beat McKenzie 34-24
Keith beat Linden 43-0
3) A couple of more interesting scores from last week:
Pleasant Home beat Georgiana 26-20 in 5 OTs. This is one of the biggest wins in Pleasant Home school history. Consider this- this is the Eagles 22nd year of playing football and they have had but three winning seasons. In the last three seasons prior to 2021, they have won only 4 games. In the last three seasons, they have been outscored 148-931. Pleasant Home has 1 playoff win in their 22 season history. The last time they scored more points during the course of their season than their opponents was 2002. The Eagles play at Samson this week and hope to run their record to 2-1.
Lanett beat B.B. Comer 26-21 - The fact that Lanett won the game is not surprising. The Panthers have been and still are one of the best 2A teams in the state. But the score let everyone know that B.B. Comer just might be for real. Coach Adam Fossett has rebuilt the Tigers over the last four seasons. When he took over in 2018 there were only 13 football players. B.B. Comer had not had a winning season since Coach Bobby Overton's last year in 2001. After a 2-8 season in his first year, Fossett lead the Tigers to records of 6-6 in 2019 with a playoff win and 9-2 last year. Last season, Lanett beat Comer 38-0 before the Tigers ran the table with 8 regular season wins, and only two of them were really close. B.B. Comer has a tough home game with Lafayette this week.
4) In the latest High School Football America National Top 100 poll, Thompson is ranked #3 behind Mater Dei (Cal) #1 and Westlake (Tx) #2. Hoover is in the #16 slot, Hewitt Trussville is ranked # 35 and Auburn has broken the list at #99. In surrounding states, Mississippi has 3 teams that are ranked, Georgia has 12 and Florida has 16 ranked schools in the Top 100.
5) It was Just Meant to Be- T.R. Miller's 36-6 victory over Cottage Hill made the Tigers the first school in the state to crack the 700 victory list. Apparently this was just meant to be. Fayette County sits at 699, a spot that have rested in since last September 25th, when the Tigers beat South Lamer 36-12 for their 699th victory. Since that time Fayette County has lost all 7 of its games, allowing Miller the opportunity to catch up and find that 700th victory last Friday night. Miller was also the first team to record 600 victories in the state.