Each year upsets occur that shape the high school football regular season in Alabama. Some are bigger than others. Here are the top 10 upsets of the 2021 regular season.
10) UMS Wright 31 Helena 0 - It is hard to imagine UMS Wright upsetting anyone as they are usually favored to win. But in this case it is more the score than the fact that they won the game. Helena arrived in Mobile with a record of 9-0 and a #4 ranking in Class 6A, but the UMS defense was too much.
9) Houston Academy 35 Slocomb 25 - The two previous seasons, #4 ranked 3A Slocomb had beaten the Raiders by a combined score of 90-7.
8) Keith 43 Linden 0 - When this game occurred in Week 2, no one realized that Linden was to have a down year after years of greatness. But the Keith program had grown and they were ready for the Patriots. The win spurred the Bears to a 8-1 regular season and a first round playoff win.
7) Ohatchee 28 Piedmont 24 - Ohatchee upset Piedmont last year and most thought the revenge factor and the fact that Ohatchee had lost three times would add up to a win for the Bulldogs.
6) Anniston 28 Handley 24 - Anniston had forfeited two wins and had losses to Cherokee County and Center Point. But they put it all together to defeat the #1 ranked 4A Bulldogs on their home turf.
5) Saraland 28 Spanish Fort 16 - Saraland rolled into Spanish Fort with a 4-2 record, but those losses were to 7A ranked Hewitt Trussville and Theodore. Spanish Fort had been dominate in the first half of the season, were ranked #1 and had beaten Saraland 7 of the last 8 meetings.
4) McAdory 21 St. Paul's 7 - St Paul's was ranked in the top 100 in the United States and #1 in Class 5A coming off a 15-0 state championship year in 2020. They traveled to McAdory to play a Yellow Jacket squad that went 4-7 last year and had a brand new coach in Aryvia Holmes. This score shocked the state.
3) St. Michael's 24 Jackson 21 - Coach Phillip Rivers gained his first big win by upsetting an always tough Aggie team. Jackson was 2-0 with victories over T.R. Miller and Clarke County going into the game.
2) Hoover 24 Thompson 21 - It was the regular season game of the year. Thompson (9-0) had been dominant, giving up only 26 points in 9 games and had won 27 games in a row. Hoover was 9-0 also, but was the decided underdog going into the game.
1) Geraldine 20 Fyffe 19 - Fyffe had a national best 52 game win streak that the team down the road put an end to on October 15th.