1) Coach of the Year Nominations, Membership and Lifetime Achievement - As we wind down the regular season, coaches should be thinking about nominations for Coach of the Year and Assistant Coach of the Year. Forms were sent in your ALFCA Membership packet or can be printed from this website. ALFCA Membership forms were also included but can be printed as well. Each year the ALFCA honors retired coaches with the Lifetime Achievement Award. Please think of deserving retired coaches that you know or who have worked at your school in the past and make these nominations. Deadline for all of these nominations is Novermber 10th.
2) Helmet Grant - The ALFCA will once again work with our helmet sponsor Schutt to give away helmet grants to deserving schools. Please fill out the Helmet Grant form. All forms can be printed fron the ALFCA website. Thanks to Schutt for their support of this worthy cause.
3) Scholarships- Each year the ALFCA awards scholarships to deserving student athletes. Below is a list of the scholarships awarded. Get those nomination forms in as soon as possible. Deadline is November 10th.
Dr. Larry Lemak Scholarship – academic or future coach
The Massey Scholarship – awarded to a deserving scholar athlete
Jacobs’ Scholarship – awarded to the child of a coach or future coach
Jamie Riggs Scholarship – awarded to the child of a coach or future coach
Dan Washburn Scholarship – awarded to a future coach
Jackie O’Neal Scholarship – awarded to a minority
Future Athletic Trainer Scholarship
Future Manager / Film or Video Scholarship
Herb and Betty Winches Scholarship – Academic
Representative Danny and Carol Garrett Scholarship – Academic
Representative Bill Poole Scholarship
Academic Scholarships will range in amounts of $1000 - $2000
4) High School Football America Poll -Six AHSAA teams are in the latest High School Football America poll of the best 200 teams in the country. Thompson is the highest rated team at #3 in the nation. Hoover is #11, Hewitt Trussville is #100, Central Phenix City is #107, Auburn is #120 and the 6-0 Clay Chalkville Cougars received an Honorable Mention nod.
5) There were two AHSAA schools that are still undefeated but are yet to be ranked in the ASWA polls. 6A Muscle Shoals has not played an opponent yet with a winning record. That all comes to an end this week as they take on the undefeated 3rd ranked Hartselle Tigers. Luverne is undefeated in 2A but likewise has not beaten an opponent with a winning record. In fact, the 5 teams Luverne has defeated have won a total of only four games this year. But in order to win the region, Luverne will need to get past foes Thorsby (4-2) and Isabella
6) It was a roller coaster week for the Ohatchee Indians last week. After having their head coach suspened by the school, the Indians grouped together and upset #2 ranked Piedmont 28-24. It wasn't like they snuck up on the Bulldogs. They gave Piedmont their only loss regular season loss in 2020 (20-15) on their way to a 12-2 season. Ohatchee is currently 3-3 going into Friday night's game with Glencoe.